The Institute for Environmental Policy (IEP) is a non-governmental, non-profit environmental organization founded in November 2008.
IEP is dedicated to enhancing environmental sustainability in Albania through policies, projects, programs, awareness raising, development and dissemination.
IEP was founded by a group of young experts committed to bringing about positive change after years of environmental degradation and negligence in Albania. IEP members are highly motivated and have required experience and education to influence the Albanian society towards enhancing environmental protection and sustainable living. Three of the IEP board members are Albanian, whereas the fourth member is Estonian. In its activities, IEP frequently cooperates with other local and international experts and volunteers.
IEP aims to be among the leading institutions developing environmental policy in Albania by providing leadership and encouraging partnerships. We seek to inspire, inform, and influence the Albanian society towards increased sustainability and increase environmental awareness among the population.
Our aims are the following:
- conduct scientific research and studies in the field of environment;
- develop and implement environmental policy;
- dedication to environmental protection and nature in harmony with life and human activities;
- influencing of the Albanian society towards the protection of nature, efficient use of natural resources, maximizing the use of renewable energy, awareness raising and education of the community regarding global warming and finding ways and methods to fight this phenomenon, awareness raising of the community regarding recycling and finding innovative ways in this field, achieving and sustaining a natural and artificial environment that maximally protects the health of people, combating environmental pollution and restoration of environmentally degraded areas;
- enhance environmental awareness and action to address major environmental threats among the government, the private sector, civil society, and the community;
- develop programs for environmental sustainability and wise management of the environment;
- develop new and strengthening existing legal, economic and policy instruments, institutional frameworks, policy coordination and information exchange, and promoting the involvement of the private environmental policy dialogue and development;
- develop environmental assessment;
- commit to gender equality in all our projects, policies and other activities;
- raise capacities and awareness on sustainable agriculture practices, and enhance awareness on the impact of agriculture and industrial farming on environment, food security and climate change.